Thursday, January 14, 2010

Looking for Evening

Jane Kenyon is my favorite poet.
This evening in the garden
I recalled one of her best known poems.

It brings comfort
as does the garden
to me




LET EVENING COME  

Let the light of late afternoon
shine through chinks in the barn, moving
up the bales as the sun moves down.

Let the cricket take up chafing
as a woman takes up her needles
and her yarn. Let evening come.

Let dew collect on the hoe abandoned
in long grass. Let the stars appear
and the moon disclose her silver horn.

Let the fox go back to its sandy den.
Let the wind die down. Let the shed
go black inside. Let evening come.

To the bottle in the ditch, to the scoop
in the oats, to air in the lung
let evening come.

Let it come, as it will, and don't
be afraid. God does not leave us
comfortless, so let evening come. 
.....Jane Kenyon 

It is marvelous when all that I love comes together with all that I love.
..as the poem that I love
came to me in the garden that I love.


yes, let evening come...Posted by Picasa..........susan

8 comments:

  1. Lovely poem. Wow, such descriptive words strung together nicely. I adore reading poems that speak of and to nature.

    Nice photo.

    Hope you are feeing better...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am feeling better..but this is and was one nasty bug!
    I love the garden in the morning and in the evening

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, this is wonderful serendipity... I found your blog through "Life in Red Shoes," and am thrilled to discover that you're also a poetry fan. I just started a series on my blog that includes favorite poems. I am also a Jane Kenyon fan, and this is one of my all-time favorites of hers. It's especially poignant, knowing of her long illness and death. (Also love "Otherwise.")
    Thanks for sharing your world.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cindy! So happy you found me. Oh yes, I confess to loving a good poem. Who determines what a good poem is? Me.
    Poetry has the ability to lift me from myself
    and set me down changed
    And you live in Michigan...her home state
    not everyone likes her...but that's their loss
    I looked for your website...and I will read it faithfully....you and I have the same
    thoughts ...the sacred in the ordinary
    Oh I am so happy

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm glad you're feeling better--I knew when I read your hilarious comment on my newest you must be. Two of the poinsettias have stepped outside for some air, but there are still two indoors, behaving themselves nicely enough that it isn't yet time for refreshing them. Let me know how the CPR goes, though.
    This is a gorgeous poem--soothing, somehow, especially with all the turmoil around us. Thank you for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful poem and picture !
    Now I have a cold.

    Nice evening,
    Sylvia

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jodi...My poinsettis were dropping curled leaves everywhere...SO I finally said, "Quit being a baby and just let them have some fresh air"
    SO without guilt...led by my guru...I lined them all up against the brick wall next to my deck and left them there. I did have second and third thoughts....guilt...but get over it I said..you are supposed to be a gardener...you have to have nerves of steel...so I left them!
    Then I find you waxing on about your lovely
    flowers!
    I heard in my head my mother's voice,
    "If your friend jumped off a bridge would you?"

    ..do I have to answer

    ReplyDelete

leave me a line of joy